What is Campaign Verify?
As part of 10DLC, and in addition to submitting a Brand Registration (and before applying for a Use Case), political texters will need to register with Campaign Verify. Campaign Verify is a non-partisan organization that verifies the identities of 527 non-profits (US political campaigns, parties, and PACs) for texting. If you are one of these three, you must register. Registering will give you a token that you will put in your ThruText account that will help protect your organization from spoofing, which is when someone outside of your organization sends messages in your name, regardless of malicious intent.
NOTE - there is a fee for registration, payable to Campaign Verify. You can read more about fees on their FAQ page.
Which organizations need to register with Campaign Verify?
Campaign Verify registration is available and required for all U.S. political entities who file as 527 organizations. Here's some additional guidance around specific organizations types:
- Ballot initiatives that are organized as 527 organizations must register with Campaign Verify.
- 501c3 and c4 organizations do NOT need to register with Campaign Verify.
How do I register with Campaign Verify?
- To register, please visit Campaign Verify's website and fill out the "Sign Up" form to get started and create a log-in.
- After creating your login, please follow these step-by-step videos to submit your new Verification Request. You will need an FEC ID or a URL of your filing at the state or local level. Be sure to pick the video that represents your organization:
- Once your form has been submitted, Campaign Verify will review the information, and you will be issued a six-digit PIN code. Log in to Campaign Verify and enter this PIN code to generate & receive your token. This token will allow us to complete your 10DLC registration.
NOTE - The six-digit PIN code is NOT the same as your CV token. The PIN code is used to generate your token. A valid CV token should contain 97 alphanumeric characters.
- After receiving and using your six-digit PIN, there is no wait for your CV token.
- After receiving your token, you will need to enter it into ThruText on the Brand & Use Case Registration page. Learn more about that page here.
NOTE - CV tokens are unique to a texting tool and cannot be shared. The CV token you are applying to ThruText can not be used in other programs.
Use Case Registration can't be submitted until the Brand Registration has been submitted and approved. Because the CV token is part of the Brand Registration, the "Political" Use Case application can't be submitted until the CV token is accepted. If you attempt to register the use case before submitting the CV token, it will appear successful, but the "Pending" status will disappear when the page is refreshed.
NOTE - Campaign Verify tokens have expiration dates, and organizations may notice they are unable to use the "Political" use case. If you applied for your CV token before November 15, 2022, it has expired, and a new CV token is needed. We anticipate that this cycle's CV token will expire after the 2024 election. Please write to email@example.com for more information.