Canvass Results can be brought into your ThruText campaigns from the MyVoter side of your VAN committee only (this is not currently available on the MyCampaign side).
Step 1: Choose the Canvass Results option from within the "Import from Van" section:
You will be given a list of all the canvass results available to you in the MyVoter-side of your VAN committee. This includes results like "Wrong Number", "Moved", and "Refused", among many others.
Select the data that you wish to collect with this ThruText campaign and click "Add Canvass Results":
Special Notes on Canvass Results:
(1) These settings are VAN ID specific so VAN will sync back only the last selected result per day. For example, if a sender selects "Busy" and then later that day, a sender selects "Do Not Text", "Do Not Text" will be synced in the contact history in VAN for that day. The ThruText survey question will retain the status of all choices for fine-grained data collection needs. Select the result codes you wish to track, and they will be added to a single checkbox survey question on that campaign. You can add additional choices after creation, if desired.
(2) Currently, Canvass Results are only available on the MyVoter side of VAN. To sync back these results to your MyCampaign side, you will want to create a survey question in MyCampaign that basically does the same thing. You would make the question choices list the items you want to collect (moved, wrong number, Spanish, etc) and then use that question when you set up your MyCampaign-integrated ThruText campaign with MyCampaignID mapped groups. You could then use those survey results when targeting your future lists in your MyCampaign side of your VAN.
Step 2: Launch Your Campaign and Collect Data
Finalize your campaign and launch. When your texters send the initial scripted message and collect responses for your canvass results that you have selected, the responses will be logged in the Contact History section in MyVoters for that contact's VAN ID. A canvass record will be added when the contact is first texted and survey data is synced.
In the admin console, survey responses with blue text are in the process of synchronizing. Responses with red text failed. Gray text has completed synchronization.
A few notes about contact history updates:
- This synchronization of the “Texted” result code will only occur when the initial “scripted” messages are sent in a campaign that has either VAN ID (voter) or VAN Campaign ID custom fields attached, or both.
- If multiple initial script messages are sent in ThruText on the same day to a contact with the same VAN Voter ID or VAN Campaign ID within your committee, VAN will only reflect the “Texted” contact history once for that day per file in VAN.
- If VAN-integrated survey question(s) are answered for that contact in the same day, it will change the contact history result code from “Texted” to “Canvassed” and update the timestamp.
- Contacts opted out within a campaign that is VAN-integrated will sync a contact history record with result code 'Do Not Text', if that status is available in your VAN committee. It is important to note that this sync will only occur if the opt-out occurs from within a campaign itself and not if the opt-out is added manually from the account dropdown at the administrative level.
If you have properly set up your ThruText Survey Questions by importing from VAN, the sync will happen automatically as your texters send initial scripted messages and record data. You do not need to press any special "sync to VAN" button at the end of the campaign. Just check your VAN account and you'll see the data that was recorded in ThruText show up!